Thursday, April 19, 2012

My Time at the NWCU


About a month ago, I received word that I had won a homily writing contest.  The prize was a paid trip to the National Workshop on Christian Unity, held in Oklahoma City from April 16-19.  After a bit of finagling, I was able to clear my academic schedule so that I could attend this workshop, and, although it has made the rest of this academic year a bit trepidatious, I am very glad I was able to pull it off, for a number of reasons. 

The first, I think, is the most obvious one.  Getting to meet people of the same faith and of different faith traditions in Christianity allowed me to think of the disunity that exists alongside the desire for unity among so many in the Christian religion.  Were there aspects of the workshop that I disagreed with?  Sure, but that's life.  The purpose of it all, namely to strive for better understanding of and respect for each others faith traditions in order to be strengthened in our own, was met for me, and for that I am very grateful.

I'm also grateful for coming to this workshop because of very personal reasons.  Since it has been held in OKC, I was able to return home, staying with my family.  Although I have been extremely busy, I have had the opportunity to simply "be" at home, and that has been something I've needed.

I've also had the chance to grow closer to my diocese as well.  Monday and Tuesday, I got to spend time with my archbishop and with some of the priests of the archdiocese of OKC.  Throughout the workshop, I've had the privilege of "shadowing" Fr. Stephen Bird, pastor at Epiphany Church in Northwest OKC, and we have really grown close.  Thanks, Fr. Bird!

This last point has been something I've yearned for, especially within the past year.  Growing in my formation and my identity as a Roman Catholic seminarian has brought with it a need to come to know and truly love the local church I will serve as a priest.  I've had a small opportunity to do this within the past week, and my desire to continue, to persevere to the priesthood for my diocese, has grown immensely.  

My deep gratitude and thanks to the NWCU for bringing me here, to St. Meinrad seminary for allowing to take the time off, to my parents for putting up with me and spending money on gas for me, to Fr. Bird for guiding me and being my companion in this, and to all who have been working behind the scenes to make this work.

Please continue to pray for Christian unity.  As I said in my homily, "we can only allow the sap of Grace to flow through us is if we are branches still found on the vine."  Pray that branches once separated may be grafted on again, and that new shoots of faith may come forth.  God Bless you!


No comments:

Post a Comment