Monday, April 23, 2012

Happy Feast of St. George!



So, ever since I was little, I've had an affinity for the name "George."  Because of this, I've gotten into the habit of naming everything that is of some importance by that name.  When I was little, I named my first teddy bear "George;" when I was five, I named my invisible friend "George;" when I was seven, and I was baptized in the Methodist Church, I named my guardian angel "George;" when I purchased my first computer, I named it "George;" (the one I'm typing on is "George II" by the way) when I bought my first car, I named it "George;"...

Needless to say, the name is of some significance to me, and when you read about St. George, you come to know why.  The legends that surround him, of his killing the dragon particularly, captures the hearts of little boys everywhere.  Although not much is known of St. George, devotion to him is ancient.  I encourage you to look for more information about him, but I thought I'd at least share this link to get you started.

In the Office today, St. Peter Damian had a great thing to say about George, the Soldier of Christ:

"Clearly what he did serves to teach us a valuable lesson: if we are afraid to strip ourselves of our worldly possessions, then we are unfit to make a strong defense of the faith."

St. George, pray for us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment