Saturday, April 7, 2012

"Levate!"




A few years after I came into full communion with the Church, I began attending a local Latin Mass Community.  It was a wonderful experience for me and my family, and it was there especially that I grew in my love for the Church’s traditions as well as her sense of community.

One of my fondest memories I have was the first Good Friday service I attended there.  It was very similar to what most Catholic witnessed and participated in yesterday, only it was in the Latin language and they used black vestments instead of red. 

I was reminded of this last night when, during the course of the intercessions, the deacon would announce “Let us kneel!” followed a few seconds later by “Let us stand!”  In Latin, these phrases are “Flectamus genua” and “Levate.”  Interestingly, I find myself saying these phrases under my breathe from time to time.  I may be busy with homework, or stressing out about a test.  I may be preoccupied with some trivial matter or frustrated with a friend, family member or professor.  When these things happen, without realizing it, I often mutter “Flectamus genua!  Levate!”

Just as Holy Thursday reminded us that our place is in the Body of Christ, Good Friday reminds us of our posture in the Body – Adoration and Action.  We are called to kneel before our Lord, and then to take up our crosses and follow Him.  The intercessions of the Good Friday service instruct us to pray for the whole world, and so we follow Christ’s example by stooping down and receiving our charge to minister to every person we meet.  In kneeling, we receive this heavy gift; in standing, we say “yes” to Christ.  This is how we follow Him – we become Him. 

So stand, people of God!  You do not carry this precious burden alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment