Monday, July 4, 2011

Interpretation of Scripture


I have begun to read Pope Benedict XVI's Jesus of Nazareth, and in the introduction, the Holy Father discusses how Scripture cannot be looked at from one vantage or venue.  In the case of the "fourfold sense of Scripture," it must be regarded from the holistic perspective of all four perspectives, not divorced from each other.

For reference, here is a nice breakdown of the "Fourfold sense of Scripture":

The Fourfold Sense of Scripture

Literal – what the words say in the context of their nearest possible reference
Allegorical – what the words mean in the context of the larger story of God (faith)
Tropological – what the words teach us regarding how to live our lives (love)
Anagogical – what the words show us regarding the ultimate end of history (hope)

The Fourfold Sense
meets
Interpretations of Revelation

Literal               --                Preterist
Allegorical          --              Historicist
Tropological       --                Idealist
Anagogical        --              Futurist


(http://www.drurywriting.com/john/fourfold%20sense%20of%20scripture.htm)


As I read the Holy Father's book, I was surprised to find myself thinking "Isn't this the obvious approach to Scripture?"

As a credit to the spiritual formation I received from my parents and from the Church, I have been blessed with a step up in my approach to Scripture.  This is a consolation for me, especially considering my transition to theological studies in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment