Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Our Lady's Healing Embrace





Today I began my Apostolic Ministry for IPF. I had the opportunity to visit St. Joseph's Villa, a nursing home in central Omaha. My group was initially given an orientation and tour of the facilities. After this, we were assigned to specific people or sections of the nursing home. I was assigned to "the unit," the Alzheimer's corridor kept locked for the protection of the inhabitants.

As I entered, I kept in mind what we had been instructed by our coordinator for Apostolics:

"See Christ in those you meet today."

As I went from room to room, then sat in the commons areas and visited with these people, I was overwhelmed with love for them. Some were bed-ridden; others were barely coherent. Still others were surprisingly young, maybe no older than 65, who were frightened and confused. The disease that they suffered from had taken any form of independence, and they didn't even realize this.

One particular lady, who I will call Juanita, was on the verge of tears as I sat next to her. She kept saying, "I only live a little ways from here. Why can't I go home? I don't understand." She then did cry softly. It was all that I could do to keep back tears of my own. I held her hand and told her that it was going to be alright and to ask for Our Lady's help.

I then realized I was carrying a holy card that might help her. On it was a picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe embracing St. Juan Diego. Underneath the picture were the word Our Lady spoke to him nearly 500 years ago:

"Do not be troubled or weighed down with grief. Do not fear any illness or vexation, anxiety or pain. Am I not here who am your Mother? Are you not under my shadow and protection? Am I not your fountain of life? Are you not in the folds of my mantle? In the crossing of my arms? Is there anything else you need?"

With this, Juanita thanked me. I knew that, for at least a few moments, she was consoled. I told her to keep the card. And although I know that she forgot moments later I had given it to her, I still saw her look at it from time to time when she realized again she was holding something, and looks of gratitude for Our Lady's embrace could be seen amidst the storms of confusion and fear.

Thank you for letting me see you today, Jesus, in the beautiful people that I met today. Thank you for allowing them to witness to me in their suffering and in their helplessness. Thank you for giving me to opportunity to love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment