Saturday, June 18, 2011

Baptism: A Blessing for All Involved


Today I had the great honor and privilege to be present at the baptism of my godson's baptism. This occasion made me realize the beauty of spiritual fatherhood in a very profound way.

While at Omaha for the Institute for Priestly Formation, I have been learning more and more about how priests must embrace the various ideas of proper relationships. The priest is specifically to live out his life as a spiritual father, to lead others to Christ by his example and teaching.

During Mass today, I sat next to my godson's father. The realization that I will share in his spiritual life as well as his son's made me feel so grateful. As a celibate, I will not have the opportunity to have biological children of my own, but I will still share in the generative love of fatherhood. I will still be able to teach, to protect, and to love my spiritual family. I will share in God's paternal love in such a beautiful and unique way. Thank you, God.

No comments:

Post a Comment