Monday, July 21, 2014

On the business of Burying the Dead

(The following is a "homilette" from Monday, June 30, 2014)

I've always found it funny that when it comes to judgment, we as human beings can be so hard on ourselves, yet we are very slow to take criticism from others. When we finish a project, or speak to others, or respond to emails, or whatever... we are the first to think "boy, that might have been a bad move." But when someone else points out the obvious, we baulk: "How dare you? You don't know me!! You don't know my situation!!! You wouldn't have done any better!!"
Am I right?
This speaks to our fundamental problem as a human race, and that is pride. This foundational sin to all other sins is one of the greatest obstacles we face to true humility. I allows us to forget the One who made us, Who has saved us from sin and death. It's like scales on our eyes that keeps us from seeing where we can grow and mature by telling us the WE are the ones who know right and wrong -- WE are the arbiters of justice.
Even as faithful Christians, we face this problem. We may truly desire to follow Our Lord wherever he may go, but on our terms. The Gospel today gives us an example of this: "A scribe approached and said to [Jesus], 'LORD, let me go first to bury my father.'" A respectable request, but a request that was ultimately an excuse.
In today's jargon, it would be like telling our Lord: "Let me go first to take my kids to soccer practice so they learn to be upright citizens; first to get comfortable financially so I am able give generously to the poor; first to take care of my personal need to look holy or righteous in the eyes of the world so that I have room for the Lord's blessings that I have earned."

These excuses reflect a distrust in anyone but ourselves, even God. It is a spiritual death that robs us of God's graces and support.

I wonder if our pride will allow us to see that Our Lord is not in the business of burying the dead, but raising them to new life.

I wonder if we might be able to allow Him do that for us -- and in us -- today?

No comments:

Post a Comment