Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Candles and Chocolate Meringue Pie


Today (Nov. 1st) is the Solemnity of All Saints, a day where we take time to remember the saints, known and unknown, who have gone before us in the sign of Faith.  This day is followed by the Feast of All Souls (Nov. 2nd), which is set aside in a special way for the remembrance of the souls of all the faithful departed.

In one of my first posts, I spoke about the beautiful tradition we have here at St. Meinrad Seminary of walking out to the monastic cemetery after Compline, reciting the Litany of the Saints, and then leaving candles on top of the tombstones.  It is a beautiful display of faith, hope and love for fellow members of the Church whom we follow in our journey toward Christ.

Something else happened today which, although sort of funny, is nonetheless a moment of remembrance for me.  On solemnities, the seminary community is treated to a wonderful array of desserts by the abbey kitchen staff.  Today, they made, for our culinary pleasure, chocolate meringue pies. Now, although I may be known for my less-than-discreet displays of emotion from time to time, I’m not one to get misty-eye over a piece of pie.  But this pie holds a specific power over me.

When I was young, I stayed with my grandparents quite a bit.  My mother had to work early and sometimes long hours, and so was unable to take me to or pick me up from school, or could not be at home when I had a day off.  It was during these times that I got to spend a length of time with my grandmother in particular.  In the summers, she would bake chocolate meringue pies.  Although she usually overcooked them to the point of burning the peeks of the meringue into charred caps, it was always my favorite pie that she made.  I remember pestering my grandmother to bake them before I left for school, and when I would come back in the afternoon, there would be a slice of freshly-baked chocolate meringue pie with a cup of apple juice waiting for me at the dining room table.  At the time, I was too young to appreciate the work and the love that went into this. 

Nearly three years ago, my grandmother passed away.  Now that I’ve  lost the opportunity to relay my thanks and love to her and those others of my loved-ones who have passed in a physical way, my regret is only outweighed by the hope I have of their rest and their peace. 

Reminded of the beloved in Christ today and tomorrow, we should take time to remember those whom we have loved personally in our own lives.  From grandparents, to old piano teachers, to brother seminarians, we ought to thank God for the gift of their influence in our lives and pray for them as they who have passed from this life enter into the life of the world to come.

1 comment: