Sunday, November 1, 2009

Voices of Light


Tonight, I witnessed one of the most profound moments of my seminary experience, and I'd like to share a little bit of it with you.

After Compline, tonight, the seminary students and many of the faculty processed to the graveyard in at St. Meinrad Archabbey in honor of All Soul's Day. It was a candle-lit procession. As the procession grew closer to the graveyard, I noticed a glimmer in the distance. We all gathered within the stone walls of the graveyard, and I became overwhelmed. Indeed, I began to cry. What I saw before me was one of the most beautiful and prophetic messages I've ever had the privilege to see.

On many of the tombstones, a candle had been placed. Each glimmered as a voice of light, beckoning us joyfully to sing with them as they illumined the paths and the stones. Our vice-rector began to sing the Litany of the Saints... and in one voice, the seminarians would respond to each saint's name: "Pray for us! Pray for us!" This was followed by the Salve Regina, and a blessing. As each of us left the graveyard afterward, we placed on the rest of the tombs our own candles we had brought with us down the hill.

How I wish I could convey my emotions... I feel full of joy for things to come and regret for things that have been done or been neglected. I have faith in God's designs and contemplation for what I may need to do to ready myself to follow the example of these holy men who now rest before me... all because of some simple wax and flame.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like candles lit tonight for the dead, let our lives shine forth and witness Christ's Love to others, as a voice of light, a joyful beckoning, and an illuminating guide and comfort.

Eternal Rest grant unto the faithful departed, and let perpetual light shine upon them; may they rest in peace

May the Church Triumphant pray for us; may our gentle, loving and sweet Queen and Mother lead us more and more to the blessed Fruit of her womb; and may the Almighty God bless us and all those who trust in Him. Amen.

1 comment: