Saturday, November 14, 2009

A Recent Musing





Tonight I had the opportunity to go to a performance of Mozart's Die Zauberflöte, at Indiana University in Bloomington, IN. I went with a Diocesan brother, and we really had a wonderful time. As we sat waiting for the opera to begin, I began thinking about roads not taken in my life. I thought to myself, “Ya know, I’d probably be doing this sort of thing right now if I hadn’t gone to seminary,” and “boy, I miss getting to perform like this.”


The opera began, and as the overture was being played, my attention was riveted by the conductor. I’ve always had a thing for conductors; they are the ones in control; they are the organizational masterminds. Though this may be the outward appearance, in reality it is up to the conductor to sacrifice himself, in personal practice and painstaking work with the ensemble, to bring into focus the desired effect of the composer: music.


In the life of the Church, is not the priest a type of conductor? Does he not strive for perfection within himself so that he may endeavor to impart to the Church what the Divine Composer has wrought?


I left the opera confident in my decision of vocation. Deo Gratias.


No comments:

Post a Comment