Monday, July 27, 2015

Childhood

(The following is a homily given at St. Gregory the Great Catholic Church on the Monday of the 17th Sunday in Ordinary Time, 7/27/15)

I may have been the only one who did this – probably not – but when I was a kid, whenever I got in trouble, I’d always try to make up an excuse, and if I could, I’d blame someone else.  It would go something like this:

“Why didn’t you clean your room like I asked?”  Mom would say.  And I’d reply with “Well, you see, I was going to, but then I had to take out the trash and then the dog bit me and then I slipped on a banana peel… and out popped a golden calf!”

I guess my parents knew a little of what I’d be up to when they named me “Aaron…”

Then we have the Gospel.  It reminded me of how parents don’t just come out and say something, but they have to speak in code.  For instance, when I got “the talk” – I ended up being afraid that there was going to be some apocalyptic invasion of birds and bees that would exterminate that human race.

Of course, I was a bit of a dramatic child…

My point in bringing these things up is to show you that we, my friends, are children in the eyes of our God.  We are incomplete, we are weak, and we are needy.  And fortunately, our God understands this.  He forgives us of the sins we commit; He explains to us on simple terms his power and love for us.

He knows that we will be stubborn, afraid, and lonely like the Israelites.  He knows that will be thick-headed, and slow to understand like those who first heard his parables.  And yet he loves us.  And yet he saves us.

We should revel in our childhood, my brothers and sisters, because we are children of God.  Trust in the love he has for us.  Talk with Him in prayer as children who are confident that they will be heard. 





No comments:

Post a Comment