Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Frowning and Forgiveness

The following is a short reflection I gave in my homiletics class:





Today’s Gospel reminded me of a story of when I was growing up.  I remember one of my friends telling me that if you frown 100 times, you will create a new wrinkle.  So, what did I do?  I went to go try it out. 
I climbed up on the bathroom counter and sat in front of the mirror, and I frowned, and frowned, and frowned. 
I got up to 70 frowns when I mom called me to get ready for supper.  When supper was over, I decided to try again, but it was pointless.  By the 20th frown, I just gave up… I had better things to do than sit in front of a mirror and frown; ya know, like playing with my batman action figures or pestering my older brother.
As I prepared for this reflection today, my frowning episode helped me understand the approach I’ve had to forgiveness in my life.  The Book of Matthew presents us with the infamous question that every person having a grudge wants answered: “How often must I forgive?” (Mt. 18:21)   St. Peter sets the bar at 7 times, but in my heart of hearts, I always thought that just wasn’t enough…
Our Gospel reading today says that “Jesus answered, ‘I say to you, not seven times but seventy-seven times.’”(Mt. 18:22)  Now, I grew up in the Church of Christ, and I learned this passage from the King James Version of the text, where the number of times one forgives is not 77, but “70 times 7.” which comes out to 490. 
Thank God for Catholic translations! 
I can do 77 times.  I’ll just keep a tally of the times someone has ticked me off, and when they get to that ripe number of 77,
<< as is sure to happen rather quickly >>
I will, with righteous anger cast them from my presence into the pit of my passive aggressive grudge-holding.
Only it’s never really worked that way… 
Even when I intended to keep a “tally of wrongs” for someone (usually with my brother), I came to the realization rather quickly that if I were truthful in my forgiveness, I would grow in my relationship with the other person.  Then it would become clear to me:
<< God is not giving me a “tally board,” He’s giving me a chance to love; to learn to love as He does. >>
This has made me think of the times here on the hill when I have held a grudge; when I have avoided others, felt annoyed at their presence, and harbored ill-will toward them when I should have seen them as my brother.   
<< In the end, I realized that they may not be the ones who need forgiveness. >>
 It is fortunate then, my brothers, that we are blessed to witness true forgiveness everyday on the altar.
 It is there that God gives us a perfect example of how to forgive in the Passion of our Lord. 
 It is there that we see the tally of our own wrongs crucified in God’s loving redemption. 
 It is there that we realize how foolish we have been to sit in front of the mirror of our sins reflected upon others. 
 And it is there we see that we are called to better things, ya know, 
 like being saints.


No comments:

Post a Comment