Wednesday, February 27, 2013

"Our Father..."




This is footage is of Pope Benedict's final blessing to a general audience as pontiff:



When I came into the Church, Pope John Paul II was in his final years.  Age, illness and the trials of his office had taken a toll on the once robust and athletic priest from Poland.  I only knew him as "the pope;" not really a father-figure per se.  It was not until coming to seminary that I came to realize his impact on my spirituality, particularly in his promotion of devotion to the Chaplet of Divine Mercy.  I came to see his vision for many other aspects of the Church as well: from social justice issues like the dignity of the human person, to continued renewal of the liturgy with his promulgation of Liturgicam Authenticam.  But I came to know these thing through the medium of Our Holy Father, Pope Benedict.  

Benedict XVI is really the only pope I have come to know and to love as a practicing Catholic.  Sure, I can read about the orthodoxy of St. Pius V, the determination of Leo XIII, the rejuvenation of St. Pius X, the universal charity of Pius XII, and so on and so on... but I knew Benedict as my pope.  He spoke to me and my generation in terms that we needed to hear.  

The most important lesson he has taught me is his example of the adage "lex orandi lex credendi" -- "the law of prayer is the law of belief."  In the style of his name-sake, St. Benedict, he has shown us the necessity of living out our faith in terms of what we do and how we pray.  What greater example than to lay down his prestige to take up the task of prayer in a deeper way! 

Pope Benedict has shown us a way to love the Church in his resignation.  As he said so eloquently in his final public address: "Loving the Church also means having the courage to make difficult, trying choices, having ever before oneself the good of the Church and not one’s own."

Can we follow our Holy  Father's example?  Can we lay down our lives of comfort, of power, of prominence, for the Glory of God and His Church?  

I leave you with Pope Benedict's blessing.  May we learn from the example given us from our Heavenly Shepherd through our earthly one:

"In union with Mary and all the saints, let us entrust ourselves in faith and hope to God, who continues to watch over our lives and to guide the journey of the Church and our world along the paths of history. I commend all of you, with great affection, to his loving care, asking him to strengthen you in the hope which opens our hearts to the fullness of life that he alone can give. To you and your families, I impart my blessing. Thank you!" 

My sincere thanks goes to you, Your Holiness.  May God's Peace and Strength continue to be with you for years to come!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment