Friday, November 9, 2012

"How Else?"

The following is a poem I wrote recently for a meeting of St. Meinrad's "Inklings Society": a group of seminarians who share various personal works of creative writing while enjoying the homey environs of a local pub.  It's entitled "How Else?" I'll let you figure out who's speaking:


 How Else?



In the Dark I walk in stillness.
A low, deep hush;
I grasp for light.

In the Din I search for closeness;
For some small touch;
A truth-filled sense of near.

“Why do I go mourning?”
Why do I sigh amidst walking,
Searching?

 God is my portion and my cup.
Indeed, a rush -
This quenching tide.

And yet He has given Me up.
With this is such
A drenching, drowning tear.

I watch as I’m dying.
Time passing by and yet nothing;
Nothing.

But I trust, though waters be black,
And thousands crushed;
I am held high.

In Me, there is nothing I lack.
For God is hunched,
Holding, calling Me dear.

So, in the Dark I wade.
In the Din I seek.
With a sigh I mourn.
On my path I die.

Yet I undo the hate,
And embrace the meek.
As I rise at Morn,
Messengers on High
Greet Me.

Greet you.

You,
 Yes you,
Are here in this with Me.

No,
Not two;
You now share Divinity.

How else?

No comments:

Post a Comment