Thursday, October 22, 2009

Communion in the Hand: a Controversy and a Personal Decision



Today, after much prayerful meditation and thought on the subject, I have decided, with great reservation, to begin taking communion in the hand. If you know me, you will find this to be a contradiction on my part, and I will admit that, in most respects, it is.

In order to understand my reasoning for this decision, one must first understand my reasoning for initialing rejecting this form of receiving the Eucharist. The first, and most obvious, reason for my receiving Holy Communion on the tongue is because it is the traditional practice of the Latin Rite of the Catholic Church to receive on the tongue (Pope Paul VI, Memoriale Domini ). Secondly, this way of reception is in all ways more reverent and respectful of the 2nd Person of the Trinity embodied in the Eucharist. Finally, it imparts a form of non-verbal evangelization for those who see this take place.

But today, I realized that the current manner of reception of the Eucharist is, unfortunately, lacking a fundamental aspect: kneeling. In fact, I found that out all too well during Mass today. As I received the Host on my tongue, it slipped, nearly fell, and there was no traditional paten, save for the one used by the distributing priest, to catch it. Fortunately, I did not drop the Body of Christ, but it was a very unsettling event for me. In that moment I realized that the new “traditional” way of preparation and reception – standing in a conveyer belt style line – was not conducive to reception on the tongue in any way.

I must make clear that the priest who was distributing Communion did have a paten which held the other Hosts, and I am sure that he would have made every effort possible to catch the Host if it had indeed fallen. If it had fallen, it would have been because of my inabilities, not his.

This made me reflect on the manner of preparation regarding Communion. In the traditional manner, one kneels, and waits for the priest to place the Host on the tongue. There is no “shooting at a moving object.” Because of this, reception of Communion is not only reverential, but also much less prone to botching. This is a perfect reason for reinstating altar rails, in my opinion.

With the current state of affairs regarding reception of Communion, however, I see it as almost a necessity for myself to receive Holy Communion in the hand so as to preserve and protect the sacrosanct nature of the Sacrament we have the honor of receiving.

In reality, this necessity is meant only for myself. If I were more mouth-eye coordinated, this little ditty of a message would not exist. But as it stands, I feel I must pick the lesser of two “evils,” in that I, a non-ordained man, would rather hold our Lord in my sinning hands than see my King fall at my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment